Monday, May 02, 2011

egg carton caterpillar.

I know the idea of making a caterpillar out of egg cartons is nothing new to get overly excited about, however, when I came across the idea to make the very hungry caterpillar out of an egg carton, I did get pretty excited.

As I mentioned in my last post we are doing a lot with The Very Hungry Caterpillar this week. Each day during centers I have a different activity at the art table. The children are free to chose to go the art area if they'd like, or not. I try to keep the activity relatively simple. Something 4 and 5 year olds can do with little teacher assistance.

Typically I come up with an idea and I try it out as I'm showing the kids what to do. This time, I felt the activity could use a trial run before showing the students what to do. Here's my caterpillar. (Yes, the paint is still wet!)


I think it turned out cute and perfect for 4 and 5 year olds to do on their own! I am glad I made one ahead of time because I realized I needed to pre-punch holes in the egg cartons for the antennas.


Fortunately I had a parent donate a bunch of extra egg cartons in the beginning of the school year, and Easter just passed so it was easy as pie to come across enough egg cartons.

I used my paper cutter to cut them in half so there are six egg cups per caterpillar.

I'm very thankful for all of the wonderful supplies that were left behind for me in my classroom by the teacher who was retiring! For example, a giant box of pipe cleaners. I thought for sure there would be purple in there for the antennas. Nope. Of course not. NO PURPLE. So the antennas are blue instead, but I would suggest purple if you have them!



Even if you aren't a teacher, these are a quick, easy, and fun activity to do with your own kids at home!
SHARE:

1 comment

Anonymous said...

fantastic issues altogether, you simply gained a emblem new
reader. What might you recommend about your publish that you made some days ago?
Any certain?
Here is my web-site :: the massage center

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig