Thursday, August 14, 2014

Dollar Saving Teachers {Part 3}

I fell a day behind and wasn't able to get a post together for yesterday. Thank you Southwest for the cancelled flight Tuesday afternoon. I would be more flustered, however, you gave me a voucher and I got to spend another day visiting family, but I digress.

Any who, I have more ideas to share with you! Imagine that! This is post 3 of 5, just so you know. I have 2 more dollar saving ideas up my sleeve!

Every time I enter the dollar store I am typically in what I call "task bin mode." The gears are turning while I examine their shelves. How can I use that? Can I use that in a task box? So many of the task box activities I put together are thanks to dollar stores. Endless possibilities!

I found these containers that came in a pack of 2, and in 4 different colors. Perfect for sorting or counting. So I combined them with these foam blocks from Teacher Created Resources. I was able to make two different tasks with the amount of blocks and containers I had.


First task: Sort by letter.


I labeled four different containers with a letter. (using the scraps from my cookie tray project) And then using a sharpie, labeled 5 blocks with each letter. Voila, task box done! These containers should be fairly easy for the students to open and close independently too.



Second task: Counting.

Again, using the scraps from my cookie tray project, I labeled each container with a number 1-4. Then the students simply put that number of cubes in each container. Simple, simple. And I had the perfect amount of cubes left to put this activity together after the letter sorting.


So the total price breakdown for creating these two task boxes:

8 flip top containers: $4 at $1/2pack
TCR foam cubes: $5.99 for a 30 pack
Total price: $10

I hope to get my ducks in a row and be back with {par 4} tomorrow! 


SHARE:

2 comments

Glimmers of learning said...

Dd you get the containers at the dollar tree?

Anonymous said...

Love those containers! Dollar Tree? I'm going to have to look for them!

Kara
Spedventures

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig