Saturday, December 26, 2015

Differentiated Lesson Plans

Two weeks ago I shared this photo on Instagram and it immediately inspired this blog post.


Just like most of you, I am CONSTANTLY changing my lesson plan format, or so it feels. I'm pretty positive that at the start of every school year it takes me 3-4 format drafts before I finally get to 1 that is going to meet my needs for that school year and that group of students.

The biggest hurdle being that I have to differentiate for each child. Different work boxes, different cookie tray activities, different work binder pages (when we get there), and then during each part of our routine each child needs something different, such as sticker reinforcements for sitting, a hand fidget, or even an edible reinforcement schedule.

How do you put ALL of that into your plans each week without driving yourself mad over the oh so little details that are so very important. On top of that, I REALLY prefer to be able to hand write some things into my plans. It's just easier that way to be able to flip around, or set 3 weeks worth of planning pages out in front of me at a time and fill in activities as I come to them.

A lot of you wanted to know more about this set up. I've snapped a few more of the other pages so I can show you my whole set up and at the bottom of this post you can download the same template for free.


As you can see my plans are set up with the daily schedule/routine to the left where I've typed some specifics if they apply. Then I have the student names across the top and in each box are the accommodations/specifics for that child during that part of the day.  What's so great about this set-up is that I only have to adjust these sections maybe 1-2x per month as reinforcers, etc change for students.


This is the next page, continuing our morning routine. I have the box at the bottom for the mid-day routine and then the next two pages of my plans continue with the afternoon group of kids, but the routine repeats. The next few pages of the plans are what changes frequently and I hand write those parts in.





I will print my plans out for the whole month at one time. This way as I'm planning activities if I find something I want to do, but maybe not for another week or so, I can go ahead and write it in for that week.

In the photo above Smartboard #3 is typically something planned from Starfall, I just had not written it in prior to taking this photo. Smartboard #1 is always a book, or an adapted book and then I look for something online to pair with it, either a re-telling on YouTube, or a song.

In order to share this with you, I've basically just left you an empty grid with some direction of what to fill where. It's still in power point format so you can add more boxes if you have more students. That could mean having to put cookie trays on one page and work boxes on page versus having them together like I do. (Not to sound cold, but I am not willing to make any changes to this template for you. You can download it and tweak it as you need it.) Click {here} to download this template to give it a try!


SHARE:

10 comments

Unknown said...

Would love to have your template but I can't get it to download. When I click on HERE nothing happens. Any help would be so appreciated.

Erin Lukas said...

When you click here it should open up in a window and then there should be a downward pointing arrow somewhere in the screen. Click that to download the file and then you can edit it.

Unknown said...

When I click on it too, nothing happens. Can you help?

lorena said...

Can't wait to give this a try, thank you! :)

Unknown said...

When I click HERE no window opens. I'll keep trying though, I would love to try this!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This was a really great post. It is essential to children's learning to use these kinds of prompts and displays, as it encourages them to engage more with tasks. Thank you for sharing this, I really enjoyed the read.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your hard work! Your students are fortunate to have you as their teacher! Thanks again. :)
-Wendy from MI

TobbinLegros said...

Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you're utilizing? I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a fair price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!termite control singapore

LeolaRistau said...

If you are a man suffering from PE, ED, Low-T, Excess Weight, Fatigue or other common men’s health issues, contact the men's health clinic, Premier Men’s Medical Center in Central Florida.clinic and treatments for erection issues in Orlando

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig