Saturday, August 23, 2014

Guess Who's Back in the Classroom!

As if you couldn't tell from the lack of blog and facebook posts, but I am officially back to work for the 2014-2015 school year! This had to of been, hands down, the fastest summer ever since I started teaching! I can't wait to share finished classroom photos with you. I did some re-arranging this year and so far I'm lovin' it. {Sorry if now you're thinking about McDonalds}

I started out the night before we went back with sketching out some room arranging ideas. This layout (not to scale of course) was all depending on one bookshelf and whether or not it fit where I wanted it to go. AND whether or not a liked it there. I had no plan B if that didn't work out. I'm so glad it worked!


When we went back on Tuesday I was greeted with this.


Every.single.year. And I wish I were kidding. It's my understanding the custodians are not supposed to unplug computers. Clearly they do and I know in my classroom they HAVE to because the location for my computer hook up lands my desk right on the tile that they need to strip and wax every summer. Typically we have a paper taped to our monitor saying the tech department has checked this computer, blah blah blah. This year, no paper. I always end up hooking my computer back up myself, it's really not terribly complicated (after you untangle all the wires), but this year I NEEDED the tech department because my printer stopped working during summer school. In the end, my assistant principal hooked up my computer for me and I had to put in a work order for my printer. I couldn't print until 2pm Thursday. WHOMP. #teacherproblems

Because I couldn't get to my computer on day one it left me plenty of time to do pointless necessary things around my room. Like cover the side of this shelf with contact paper. I found this paper on amazon and it got here so quickly. All I wanted was a black and white pattern/design and I knew it would work.



I love how it turned out! I was then on a mission to see whatever else I could cover. You can see in the photo above that I decided on doing the side of my file cabinet. I stopped there. For now.

I also snapped a photo of my data board in progress. I still need to add the banner above the clipboards and the data covers for the clipboards as well. That is a {free} product in my TpT store if you're interested! 


But anyway, I found where I wanted my clipboards to hang on the bulletin board. Then using my command hook, I cut around it with an extacto knife. I knew attaching the command hook to the paper would not work. At some point the weight would begin to rip the paper. By cutting out the paper behind the hook, I can attach the hook directly to the bulletin board itself.

Monday marks week two of back to school! It will be the first day of Kindergarten (pre-school doesn't start until September 8th). From now until then I will be assisting in a Kindergarten classroom throughout the day!
SHARE:

2 comments

Christine Reeve said...

Wow your sketches for classroom design are WAAAY neater than mine! Mine could never be interpreted by anyone but me because they are a mess! Love what you did with the cabinets!!

Chris
Autism Classroom News

Anonymous said...

I think your custodians work in my school as well. Every.Single.Year. ARGH

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig