Tuesday, May 10, 2011

bug word clips.

This week our theme is bugs. (Insects for those specifics out there)

I came across this idea in a Mailbox Magazine and I loved it. Since I have a large variety of skill levels in my classroom with the majority of the students being special education I thought this idea was perfect to be adjusted to meet all different levels.

Introducing...bug word clips!

I only made six of them, but the activity also had pictures of other bugs that you could use. I figured if I had trouble identifying the bug, the students might too. I cut out the pictures, colored them, and glued them onto a sentence strip. Next I wrote the bug name next to the picture and laminated the sentence strips. With the six words pictured above, you will need 84 clothespins. (I made the mistake of not counting prior to going to the store and the 72 that I thought would be plenty...turned out not to be.)
** NOTE: 84, if you are making 2 sets of words like I do. Obviously, only 42 if you are making one set!

 

 


For the activity the students will have to either match just the capital letters, or match all of the letters, depending on their skill group. 


They will get good practice on their fine motor skills by having to clip the letters onto the sentence strips.


Here are some of the different skills that came to my mind when I saw this activity. 

1. Great fine motor practice with the clips. I have several students who receive OT services, but that aside, every little guy could practice strengthening their fine motor!

2. Letter recognition, both uppercase and lowercase. To adapt the activity, one group will be working on just the uppercase letters, while others will be doing all of the letters.

3. Matching! The students will have to match the letter to the clothespin with the correct letter. Can't put a capital for a lowercase! 

I know there is so much more, but these were my top 3. For older students you could extend the activity to have them make one of their own! Have you done any activities similar to this?


SHARE:

12 comments

Tiffany said...

This is BRILLIANT!!!

Teaching 123's & ABC's said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I am a special education Kindergarten teacher and am always looking at ways to incorporate fine motors and academics together. This is fantastic and will be making some this weekend!

Thank you for sharing!
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Super idée à faire avec trois fois rien ! Je vais l'adopter tout de suite pour mes élèves en maternelle ! Petite idée pour aller plus loin : le mot est écrit en majuscule script en haut et en minuscule script en bas de la fiche. On peut alors travailler la concordance entre les différentes graphies et pour ne pas acheter quinze mille pinces à linge j'écris en majuscule d'un côté et en minuscule de l'autre (ne pas oublier de retourner la pince pour écrire )Merci encore !

Elsa Victoria said...

Love this

Lisa Howard said...

LOVE THIS!!

Anonymous said...

I am a Special Ed teacher too and use this type of activity with sight words. My students are Deaf so I have pictures of the signs with the word as well as a picture.

Nicole said...

I love ths idea. How do you store your clothes pins? I was thinking of using them for sight words in my classroom.

Erin Lukas said...

Nicole--

When I'm not using them I simply store them in a gallon zip loc in my theme box. When the students use them I dump them into a basket/plastic container of some sort. Seems to work out just fine! :)

Little Green said...

Erin, thanks so much for this great post! I came across it via Pinterest, and have included it in my weekly round-up of great pins on my blog. Please drop by if you'd like to see it: http://littlegreenteacher.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/pins-of-week-pegs-collapsible.html

Kelly at Little Green

Unknown said...

wow coool . i love this

دانلود آهنگ جديد

Dunia kerja said...

Thank you for any other informative site. Where else could I get that kind of info written in such an ideal approach? I have a challenge that I'm just now working on, and I've been at the glance out for such information 10 Simple Ways To Help Educate Children About Money

Anonymous said...

Great idea - I am going to adapt this to use as an activity for nursing home residents.

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig