Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Behavior Management

Our school uses clip charts for behavior management. As of last year, it is mandatory that each classroom use a clip chart. Kindergarten has something crazy like 8-9 colors, but our "non-negotiable" for pre-k includes at least 4 behavior colors. Last year I did mine on a fish and in a fish bowl.


Each day when students arrived, they took the green fish off their cubby bin and put it in the fish bowl by their name. This also helped me know who was at school that day (or who forgot to put up their fish!) And then our fish colors would change throughout the day-- purple, green, yellow, and red.

I loved the idea, it was a great display of behavior, but in the end, it didn't turn out to be as "student interactive" as I had hoped. So this year I decided to make a clip chart.



Again, with knowing my student population, I added PECS images to each page to match with the emotions you might feel if you were on each of the colors. I used binder rings I had around to attach my colors & found 2 command hooks to stick them to the side of this book shelf. A great way to use space & something I can see from greeting time, etc.

Please ignore my hole punching errors...

I stick with the 4 colors because for a few students, this whole idea is over their heads, and for the ones who do understand, I think 4 colors is sufficient. It's a great introduction to the idea of a clip chart and they will be more prepared for the 9 color ones in Kindergarten!

At the end of our day, if a student is on green they put a green pom-pom in the jar. If they are on purple, they get to put in a SPARKLY purple pom-pom. We earn a fun treat when our jar gets full.

Again, I can't share this file with you because of the PECS images--I so wish that I could! But maybe this will inspire you to create your own with added PECS or expression pictures!

How do you do behavior management?
SHARE:

3 comments

Cupcake said...

I think four colors is plenty! Especially for the little ones. I still flip cards, haha. But I use four colors, too.
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Between the Bind said...

You did a great job! I do think that 9 colors is an INSANE amount...holy moly! Anywho, get idea and inspiration. :)

Happy teaching!

Nicki said...

Erin:
I love this idea, I have been wanting to change my behavior management chart as well. I have a new student population this year. Is there anyway you could make the files available without the PECS symbols? Also can you please tell me where you got the striped background? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nicki

Design by Laugh Eat Learn // Theme by PipDig